I’m Amelia, owner of Capture It in Words. I’ve known I was a writer since I was seven, when I wrote this:
Firebird, firebird, flying high,
Your fiery feathers light up the sky.
Firebird, firebird, flying low,
Your beautiful feathers shed light on the snow.
In my imagination you freely soar,
A mystical bird of old folklore.
At the time, I was incredibly excited to have discovered rhyming. I’m still discovering things with equal levels of excitement. That’s why I write! So you can see them too.
♔ Essays & Articles
Here are a few examples of my style:
- Perishable Goods: On Trans( )ism (2022)
- Failed to Finish Writing Your Book? Four Tools for Future Success (2021)
- The Forum: Imaginary Gardens with Real Toads: Keeping Poetry Honest (2019)
- 9 Reasons to Come to Hillsdale (2017)
- A Saturday Morning in Pre-Raphaelite Paintings (2015)
♔ Web Design & Content
- AgEconMT Blog (2022) (design & maintenance)
- MSU Ag Econ Website (maintenance) and Instagram (content)
- Ethos Debate & Communications (Summer, 2021) (design)
- Mountain Maids Instagram (Fall, 2021) (content)
- This blog (design, maintenance, and content; adapted from theme Minimalist Blogger using CSS)
+ About Me
- I’m married to a bearded communications expert/econ grad student who can speak in an Elmo voice. In my free time, I enjoy homemade buttered sourdough, rural areas, schemes, transcendence, & disastrous adventures abroad.
- In 2021, I graduated Summa Cum Laude in Philosophy & German Studies at Hillsdale College. My interdisciplinary thesis was a philosophical investigation of transformative prayer in the writings of St. Augustine. My German thesis tackled Irmgard Keun’s subversion of Goethe’s Eternal Feminine in Das Kunstseidene Mädchen. Although I’m probably not destined for academia, I’m always up for discussing Big Ideas (the Veggie Tales production company? sure).