Cedars 7th Grade Math Page (September 19, 2021)
- The Zoom address is https://us04web.zoom.us/j/4850284384?pwd=1i9MBgKH1r8 .
- Lesson 6, Friday. Order of operations, exponents.
Test 1 (arithmetic, writing numbers in words).
- Lesson 7, Wednesday.exponents, neatness.
* Test-taking music: Johann Bach's Musical Offering in piano and harpsichord. (with scrolling musical notation). A long essay on the Musical Offering with linkage to Leibniz, Newton, and Voltaire; and
a short essay that talks about in connection to Mozart and Beethoven.
* "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years." Mark Twain, "Old Times on the Mississippi," Atlantic Monthly, 1874.
* Homework 7 (exponents, neatness)
- Lesson 8, Friday. Graphics.
* T and T Repairables , a used car dealership out west in the country.
*An online Python compiler that can import the matplotlib module is at codabrainy.com.
* Homework 8 (graphics, Python)
- Lesson 9, Monday. Word problems.
Homework 9 (word problems). Remember also to ask your parents what is necessary for salvation, and, in particular, why just deciding to believe is not enough.
Here is a good blog post on prayer flag and prayer wheels, with gorgeous photographs if the Himalaya Mountains.
WORDS: Amiable, endless loop.
- print("Buddhist code.")
- x = 4
- while x<6:
- print("Glory to God in the highest!",item)
- item = item +1
- print ("The End.")
Steps in solving word problems: 1. Figure out what the question is and what kind of number is supposed to be the answer. 2. Figure out which numbers in the question are relevant--- some numbers might well be irrelevant to getting to the answer. 3. Figure out what techniques you are going to need, e.g., addition, division, Python coding, looking up something on the Internet.
The parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man (Luke) came up in class.
- September 16-18 Covid/Rain Interruption
- 1/2-hour Zoom lecture on Python plotting.
- #PYTHON CODETo illustrate keyword options like linestyle, fontsize, marker.
- import matplotlib.pyplot as plt;
- grades = [1,2,3,4]
- sizes = [10,8,4,8]
- plt.plot(grades, sizes, linestyle='solid', marker= 'o', color = "red" )
- plt.ylabel('Size', rotation= 'horizontal', horizontalalignment='left' ,labelpad=46)
- plt.title('Cedars Class Sizes', fontsize = 32)
- # Set x, y limits for the points covered by the diagram:
- plt.xlim(0, 6)
- plt.ylim(0, 12)
- Lesson 2.2, Monday. Mixed Numbers.
Nothing yet posted.
- Lesson 2.3, Wednesday. Factors and Prime Numbers
"Euclid's Proof of the Infinitude of Primes (c. 300 BC)".
- Lesson 2.4, Friday. Putting a Fraction into Lowest Terms
Nothing yet posted.
- Google scholar.
- Math puzzles can be found at Quora
Khan Academy on divisibility by three, and a a better, written, exposition.
A blogpost on myriads.
URL: http://www.rasmusen.org/. I live in Bloomington, Indiana. Comments: